Adding Calendar Events
This tool is not included on all WUSM Web Theme websites. If your group organizes or promotes 12 or more events throughout the year, you may submit a request to have the calendar installed.
The calendar plugin consists of a master calendar as well as individual posts for each event. With assistance from WashU Medicine Marketing & Communications, you can automatically show upcoming events on your homepage.
For each event you add to the calendar, you’ll create a separate post. You can also add recurring events; however, you cannot edit individual occurrences. All items in a series share the same information except the date. So if you have a weekly seminar but want the topic or speaker to change each week, you’ll need to enter those events individually.
Creating a new event
- Go the WordPress admin dashboard; in the left menu, click Events > Add New; or, from the top ribbon, click New > Event
- Enter the title/name of the event at the top; keep it brief but descriptive, and style all event titles the same (eg, consistent capitalization and other conventions)
- In the text editor box, insert event description following the directions for editing page content; it can include links and other text styles
- Complete the Event Details below the text editor field
- For Venue, click the dropdown arrow and selected a prepopulated location, or click the “+” to add a new venue. The Venue Name is the building and room number/auditorium; please complete all address fields.
- Leave Venue blank for deadlines and other events that don’t require a location.
- On the right side, select one or more categories; Poster Day deadlines, for example, would be 1) Deadlines and 2) Poster Day
- Click the blue Publish button